Kari Slouchy Hat
Sizes: 1 (2, 3); Youth M/L (Teen/Adult S, Adult M/L)
The sample is shown in Adult M/L and fits a model with a 23.5” (59 cm) head.
Finished Hat Measurements: 15.5 (17.5, 20)” / 39 (44, 50) cm in circumference, unstretched and unblocked.
To fit head measurements: 17-19 (18-21, 20-24)” / 42.5-47.5 (45-52.2, 50-60) cm
- 1 set of 16” (40 cm) US 11 (8.0mm) circular knitting needles (or size needed to achieve gauge)
- 1 set of US 10.5 (6.5mm) DPNs (only used for last round or two – you could use US 11)
- 130 (170, 220) yds/138-200 m of heavy worsted/aran weight, or half the yardage/meterage of a super bulky weight. The sample was made using Lion Brand Heartland Tweeds, held double. This yarn is 200 yds (183 m) per 4 oz (114 g) ball and is 94% acrylic, 6% rayon.
- Clover pom pom maker size large: 3-3/8” (85 mm), or tools for your preferred method of pom-pom making
- Tapestry needle
- 1 stitch marker (optional)
One Christmas, my sister in law asked me to knit her the perfect slouchy hat, so here is my ideal slouchy hat!
This hat is the result of a lot of trial and error - I finally found a hat I want to wear all the time! It’s squishy, doesn’t squeeze my head, and is ridiculously soft!
Made with two strands of Aran weight held together, or one strand of super bulky, this hat works up in just a couple hours!
Yarn choice note:
Not all #4 yarns are Aran weight, therefore not all #4 yarns will come out to the right gauge.
In theory, you can use a #6 (super bulky) weight yarn as well, but not all #6 yarns are created equal either! I’ve gotten good results with Lion Brand wool-ease Thick & Quick. You can make the largest size of this pattern with one less pattern repeat from just one skein of Thick & Quick!
This hat is very versatile - you could work a few rounds less and make it a beanie, or work a few extra and make it super slouchy!