Falls of Nimrodel
~ The Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R. Tolkien
Falls of Nimrodel is a surprisingly soothing knit. Allow the rhythm of the gently twisting cables draw you in as they wind back and forth across the sock, interrupted only by delicate leaves and tiny twinkling beads.
This sock is knit from the toe up, with charted instructions only for the cable pattern on the instep.
- Patterned or plain stockinette toe
- Beads or no beads
- THREE heel choices! A Fleegle heel, afterthought heel, or toe up heel flap and gusset (pictured in the green sock)
Sizing: Women’s S/M (M/L)
Fits foot circumference: 7-9 (9-11)“/18-23 (23-28) cm.
Gauge: 34 stitches and 48 rows = 4 inches in Unblocked Stockinette in the round
- 1 set each of US 1 & 2 (2.25 & 2.75 mm) needles (or size needed to achieve the recommended gauge) in whatever method you use to knit socks.
- 250-400 yds (230-366 m) of fingering weight yarn. Sample is knit in Fiber For the People “Merino 2-ply” base, [393 yds/359 m | 100g | 85% superwash merino, 15% nylon] in the colorway “Avocado at Law.”
- 60-110 seed beads Size 8/0. Each toe takes 7 beads, and each full foot repeat takes 11 beads.
- Tapestry needle for weaving in ends.
- (Optional) Cable needle.
- (Optional) two extra DPNs or an extra circular needle in the larger size for working the Heel Flap version.
- (If adding beads) A very small crochet hook (I used 1.00 mm), or whatever tool you use to add beads to knitting.
- 2-4 stitch markers.
- The pattern is written for magic loop, but can easily be adapted for DPNs or small circular needles.
This pattern has been thoroughly tested and Tech Edited for clarity and accuracy.